tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Service is stopped automatically???
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2008 08:03:17 GMT
Thangavel Sankaranarayanan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with tomcat 4.1.27.
> Operating system is Windows2000.
> I am running tomcat as a window service.
>
> The problem is tomcat service is automatically stopped.There is no clues
> found in logs and what be the best solution for it.Please suggest any good
> methods other than Tomcat upgradation to higher version...

Well, first of all, 4.1 *is* a very old version, so maybe you should
consider using a more recent one.
But other than that, can you provide a bit more information than "is
autmatically stopped" ?
I have used Tomcat 4.1 as a Windows service under various Windows
versions for many years, and it does not usually "automatically stop".
So what is happening exactly ?

Let's start from the beginning :

1) call up the "services" applet on that system, and look for the
Service named "Apache Tomcat" or similar.
On that line, in the 4th column, it should say "Automatic" or "Manual".
Which is it ?

2) in the 3rd column, it should show if the service is actually running,
or blank if it isn't. Which is it ?

3) If it is not running, right-click on the line and choose "start".
Does it start, or does it bring an error pop-up ?

4) if it starts, then when does it stop "automatically" ?
Is it right away ? after a short while ?  after a long time ? only when
you log off from this PC ?

5) Once it stops, if you examine the "System Event log", is there a
message that indicates why it stopped ?

6) under the directory where you installed Tomcat, there should be a
directory "logs" with the Tomcat logfiles.  It normally creates one
logfile of each type for each day.  Which files are there ?
In the last ones, are there any error messages ?

The above would help us helping you.

André