tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kees Jan Koster <>
Subject Re: Disabling catalina.out log
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:37:03 GMT
Dear Emerson,

>> Truncating? It should be a rolling file, rolling over daily. You
>> can just
>> remove the old versions. Is this a stock tomcat, one from the
>> ports, or
>> maybe a particularly old one?
> catalina.out is set at the
>>> "$CATALINA_BASE"/logs/catalina.out 2>&1 &
> This file is not rateable, as it is jsut a redirection.

You are right. Woops, I thought it was a rotatable file. Maybe I
restart my Tomcats too often. :)

> We are thinking in moving this redirection to  /dev/null or just
> remove the redirection.
> Is it a sense thing to do?

To get rid of an ever-growing file, yes. However, you have to make
really sure that you still get all the stack traces and whatnot that
is in that file, only get them into a rolling file.

Ahhhh. Wait. Now I know why I never run into this. I run my Tomcats in
screen using " run", so catalina.out is written to the
console instead of a file. I do get a nice daily log e.g. catalina.

That would mean it is safe to redirect catalina.out to /dev/null, as
long as you have the daily logs.

Kees Jan

Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe
so full of wonders,
they have managed to invent boredom. Quite astonishing... -- Terry

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message