tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>
Subject Re: [programmazione] Struts vs JSF (poll?)
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:48:12 GMT
On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 03:06:49PM +0200, Luca Cicale wrote:

> keep in mind that JSF is a very powerful framework, but it has also
> some limits.  The biggest one is that to work correctly javascript
> must be enabled on the client browser.  So, as first, take care this
> is a very strict specific.

[drifting further offtopic]
Putting on my end-user hat, I have to say that this can be more
significant than one might think.

I have NoScript installed on all my browsers.  It helps with security,
but I find that really I mostly use it to implement the maxim "avoid
time-wasting morons", like the all-singing all-dancing mortgage
distraction or those infuriating "let a live salesman twist your arm"
popins or the sites whose scripts run at 100% for minutes without
producing anything useful.

So when I hit a new site that wags its finger at me for not providing
Javascript (or worse, Flash) then I have to decide whether I'm
interested enough in that site to spend time granting them permission
to take over MY browser.  Often enough I either leave the scripting
off if I can get what I want without it, or I go down the road to
someone else's nice clean site that Just Works.

So when selecting technology, do consider the balance between
providing useful functionality to the users and just bothering them.

Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he
means the exact opposite.