tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Problem with POST to servlet: 16384 bytes maximum?
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2008 21:37:02 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michele Fuortes" <mfuortes@med.cornell.edu>
To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 8:18 PM
Subject: Problem with POST to servlet: 16384 bytes maximum?

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with POSTing an XML file to a servlet which writes  the
> XML to disk. If the XML file is less than 16384 bytes all goes  well. If
> it's bigger the first 16384 bytes are written correctly, the  rest all all
> 00s. The lenght of the file is the correct one as in the  Content-Length:
> http header.
>
> The servlet is very simple (I did not write it), the relevant parts are:
>
> File file;
> FileOutputStream out2;
> DataOutputStream out3;
> file = new File(req.getRealPath(filePath));
> out2 = new FileOutputStream(file);
> out3 = new DataOutputStream(out2);
> bytesAvailable=req.getContentLength();
> byte[] theBytes=new byte[bytesAvailable];
> in.read(theBytes);
> out3.write(theBytes,0,bytesAvailable);
> out3.flush();
>
> Can anyone help? Is there a buffer limit somewhere that I have to  change.
> I'm using Apache 2.063/Tomcat/4.1.29-LE-jdk14 on MacOS 10.5.3
>
> Thanks
>
> Michele Fuortes
>

> --
> Michele Fuortes, M.D., Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Cell and Developmental Biology
> Cornell University  - Weill Medical College
> E-mail: mfuortes@med.cornell.edu

Michele... check this out... the default POST size is actually much
larger...
I suspect it may be an encoding problem.... whatever is sending that file
must also encode it correctly...
If you try a diff XML file and this size changes.... its the issue.
Long time since I messed with this stuff... but I dont think a raw XML file
will post...
XML is full of little gremlins that mean something to a url decoder if not
encoded ;)

Other possibility is theres a funny with the https... try do a normal http
just to elim that as well..

Good luck...

The only real POJO Application Server.