tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Hot redeploying a WAR - HTML is not refreshed
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2008 18:01:52 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Desjardins" <peter.desjardins.us@gmail.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:00 PM
Subject: Re: Hot redeploying a WAR - HTML is not refreshed

> Those are excellent suggestions.  Thanks.
>
>> The other thing is that I cant actually recall ever seeing an HTML file
>> in
>> the work folder...
>> I see stuff like...
>> basic_002darithmetic_jsp.class
>> basic_002darithmetic_jsp.java
>>
>> which is what it is used for... ie to hold the compiled JSP's...
>> if you using HTML to describe JSP's then we already have crossed lines...
>
> Maybe this is causing the problem: the HTML files are wrapped up in
> JAR files.  This is functionality of the Eclipse help system.  You can
> wrap up all of your documentation content (HTML files, image files,
> tables of contents, ...) in a JAR file.  This becomes a documentation
> plugin that the Eclipse application knows how to unpack and serve.
>
> So my HTML content is actually in here:
>
> C:\apache-tomcat-6.0.18\webapps\war-file-name\WEB-INF\eclipse\plugins\com.my.doc.plugin.name.jar
> C:\apache-tomcat-6.0.18\work\Catalina\localhost\war-file-name\eclipse\plugins\com.my.doc.plugin.name.jar
>
> Does the fact that my content is in a JAR file make a difference?  Is
> there a different way that Tomcat handles redeploying JAR files?
>
> Also, there is no development environment on my computer.  I am taking
> the WAR files from a separate build server and just trying to deploy
> and redeploy locally.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Peter Desjardins

My best guess is that the framework is not letting go... ie that plugin is
running in a thread or something... and TC cant dump the thing out of its
classloaders.
No it shouldnt make any diff... the webapp should replace "everything"...
But it is possible that a help system is doing some form of caching, running
singletons and never ending threads...
You have to (I guess) find someway of telling that system to die... its
staying alive "somehow"..

The only real POJO Application Server.