tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Sudden missing javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet ?
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2008 20:48:37 GMT

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Christopher Schultz" <chris@christopherschultz.net>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 7:45 PM
Subject: Sudden missing javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet ?


> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> All,
>
> I've checked everything I can think of. Today, my dev instance of Tomcat
> started acting funny, saying:
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet
> ~        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
> ~        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)
> ~        at
> java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
>
> (ultimately coming from)
>
> ~        at 
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:295)
> ~        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:433)
>
> I've checked the obvious things:
>
> 1. Only one copy of servlet-api.jar anywhere (it's in
> TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib and has md5 hash of 
> 043724d8aadd4e5c50417dfcef52934b)
>
> 2. All configuration files appear to be sane (using copies available in
> our cvs repo and verified working by a colleague)
>
> 3. No CLASSPATH set anywhere (and adding an echo in catalina.sh confirms
> this)
>
> I've rebooted, just in case my system went braindead (it's Linux: it
> hadn't, and the error persists).
>
> I've re-installed Tomcat (5.5.26, since you asked), but the installation
> directory had no differences after the install than before the install
> except for the presence of mysql-connector-whatever.jar.
>
> I deleted my own webapp from the deployment directory and dropped
> LambdaProbe's probe.war into my webapps directory, just to check, and
> that application seems to deploy with no complaints.
>
> Here is the list of files in my webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory:
> antlr-2.7.3-runtime.jar      expreval-1.0a.jar
> chadis-tools-1.1.jar         jakarta-oro-2.0.8.jar
> commons-beanutils-1.7.0.jar  jmock-1.0.1.jar
> commons-chain-1.1.jar        junit-3.8.1.jar
> commons-collections-3.2.jar  log4j-1.2.15.jar
> commons-digester-1.8.jar     ppg.jar
> commons-lang-2.2.jar         securityfilter-2.0+.jar
> commons-logging-1.1.1.jar    struts-core-1.3.8.jar
> commons-validator-1.3.1.jar  struts-taglib-1.3.8.jar
> dxengine-1.0b.jar            velocity-1.4.jar
> engine-1.0a.jar              velocity-tools-1.4.jar
>
> Those you might not recognize are in-house libraries. But, you can see,
> there's no servlet-api.jar or anything like that.
>
> The server.xml file I'm using works file with LambdaProbe, so there is
> not likely to be an error in there.
>
> I'm totally confused. This install has been working literally for years,
> and today it decided to crap out.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for what to check? It's obviously my
> own application, but I can't see anything that might be problematic.
>
> Thanks,
> - -chris
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (MingW32)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
>
> iEYEARECAAYFAkibNJ8ACgkQ9CaO5/Lv0PCjewCcDdDsSdqAufxxSEDJUfW9l2+k
> E94AoIaSL1h88UbGfs+lmUsSYf7JxHbE
> =Bych
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Chris, your webapps probably still work out side the dev environment....
I "think" all thats happening is your IDE is not loading the commons lib...

Those are wierd libs in a way.... your IDE loads them up so that you can 
develop and make the application... compile etc... but then those libs are 
not put into the final webapp... ie they special, the IDE uses them so you 
can work, but does not pack them... coz TC has them already.
So... I think it just your IDE that doesnt know how to load them anymore...
In NB... the way TC 6 and TC 5.5 works is totally different... ie if the IDE 
was set for TC 6 and was pointed at TC 5.5... it would do something like 
this as well.

Maybe just something silly like the IDE thinks its TC 6, but its TC 5.5 and 
its using it wrong...
My guess... good luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
HARBOR : http://www.kewlstuff.co.za/index.htm
The most powerful application server on earth.
The only real POJO Application Server.
See it in Action : http://www.kewlstuff.co.za/cd_tut_swf/whatisejb1.htm
---------------------------------------------------------------------------




---------------------------------------------------------------------
To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org


Mime
View raw message