tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Intgrate Tomcat and PHP in winxp
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2008 18:54:11 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Radhakrishnavangara" <radhakrishna.vangara@gmail.com>
To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 6:55 PM
Subject: Re: Intgrate Tomcat and PHP in winxp

> Hi Tommy,
>
> That was really informative. But let me explain you the actual scenario. I
> am using an application called phpESP ( a survey tool developed in PHP)
> and
> running on Apache httpd. The application is running fine, but it is
> consuming lot of memory space in the server. So we have decided to move
> the
> application and deploy on a lighter application server. That's the reason
> we
> have decided to deploy on Tomcat. So could you please let me know your
> opinion on the same.
>
> Also i am a beginner to PHP and Tomcat. Also i have spend lot of time on
> this and now i have to some how finish this task. Offline i will take your
> guidance on understanding this technology. For now could you please
> explain
> us with the step by step instruction on how to finish the same task.
>
> Regards,
> Radhakrishna

Hi Rad,

I'll just say that you are probably only the 3rd person I've seen trying PHP
on TC...
If google doesnt want to help you... its telling you something ;)

You'd be trying to make TC do something that its never really been designed
for and I dont know how the memory would come down because now you have a
Java layer as well...
On Servers like Resin that do have a pure Java PHP implementation, it tends
to not be a full port, so theres always a module missing, an if and a but...
Try it, but I think you on the right machine for PHP already (Apache)...
others can shoot me now ;)

One way is to integrate both Apache and Tomcat together... is JK... for this
you can read up on the JK connector..
What then happens is that both machines act as one... ie the browser has no
idea that it talking to both Apache and TC... its the same port etc.

Then it gives you the choice of doing further dev on PHP or TC... so you can
have your PHP engine doing its thing, and dev the rest of your site on
Tomcat... and leave it like that or slowly build PHP out or into your
apps...

You get the added perk of load sharing as well... ie Tomcat and Apache do
not have to live on the same server... and you can have many TC's.
I think thats how most would go... maybe...

Have fun...
The only real POJO Application Server.