tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Problem with POST to servlet: 16384 bytes maximum?
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2008 20:54:50 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michele Fuortes" <mfuortes@med.cornell.edu>
To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 4:08 PM
Subject: Re: Problem with POST to servlet: 16384 bytes maximum?

> Hi, thanks for the suggestions;
>
>> John.C.Cartwright@noaa.gov schrieb:
>>> I've had similar problems in various versions of tomcat.  Currently  the
>>> problem seems to exist in 6.0.16 but not in 6.0.14 nor 5.5.17.  There
>>> was a bug filed, but I don't have the reference handy.
>
> I tried 5.5.26 and 5.5.17 and it changed (for the worse-;).
> The file now gets messed up at 7620 bytes
>

>>> Johnny Kewl <john@kewlstuff.co.za>
>>
>> Michele... check this out... the default POST size is actually much
>> larger...
>> I suspect it may be an encoding problem.... whatever is sending that
>> file must also encode it correctly...
>> If you try a diff XML file and this size changes.... its the issue.
>

> The same things happen with a lot of completely different XML files  and
> they all get messed up at 16384, the last few good bytes are all
> different.
>
> Any other suggestion?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michele

Michele, look I dont believe anything is wrong with TC, I run on 5.5.25, 6,
5.5.15... my server is based on POSTS..
I'm sending data ranging from 1 byte to 600k.... I use normal POST,
urlencoding, chunked, Base 64... ZIP'd... TC is definitely working..
The thing you not mentioning, is what is sending it?

However that encodes... so it must be unencoded... if its a custom job and
its not following a standard somewhere TC is going to get confused...
Like if the header says URL encoded, and its not...

Typical chunking sizes hover around where you experiencing your problem...
so if the client is chunking... ie it sends a block of data with some zero's
behind it... but the headers are not right... its going to cutoff...

If the XML is not encoded, but the server see's a header... its going to
start doing wierd stuff with those little things %...
I think the issue is there somewhere....

If you said you posting from a browser and its cutting off... well then I TC
may have an issue... you need to tell us everything, both sides of the story
;)
I use URLConnection and customize what I want it to do... but there are a
million things out there... file uploaders use mime sections and TC needs
help there, pre 6 anyway...  hope that gives you some idea's...

I've seen a few posts where (I think it was on 6... but it was a JK or HTTPs
issue) not plain http stuff...
I dont think TC is broken... I think its a protocol issue...

The only real POJO Application Server.