tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Amazing stuff with Tomcat
Date Sun, 10 Aug 2008 15:11:30 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leon Rosenberg" <rosenberg.leon@googlemail.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2008 1:31 PM
Subject: Re: Amazing stuff with Tomcat

> Johny,
>
> mabye I'm missing the point, but it looks like you are reinventing SOAP.
> You do know that CORBA can do this since 20 years, don't you?
>
> regards
> Leon

There is definitely "a having fun with Tomcat" dimension ;)
A "lets see if TC can do it better" question we answering.
Yes I know about the others, have tried them "all" at some stage.
Theres SOAP, CORBA, RMI, COM, RPC, a million derivatives in EJB, SPRING, GWT
etc...
It even overlaps with FLEX, SOA, WEBSTART, JMS, OSGI...
Looks like the whole world has had a go at it, at sometime ;)

I dont think there is any system that allows one to make a plain old Java
applications "OUTSIDE" of any container, so a developer works with POJO, not
the engine, ie there is no RMI, or CORBA, or SOA, or OSGI, or FLEX in their
code, and then simply by dropping that into TC... they get "all" of the
above.
We think its the easiest and most powerful system out there.
Would go as far as saying that "nothing" comes close to what TC can now
do...

We'd have to write a book to compare all these technologies, but its much
faster than webstart, and easier, and I think if SOAP had to try run every
Postgres call over a wire, and suck down and install a whole H2 dB, and
deliver a few thousand recs, one could start it on friday, and take the
weekend off.
SOAP is actaully patheticly slow.

We are playing, and we get a little excited because TC is kicking butt... we
challenged the Glassfish guys, wanted to put TC up against it... got no
reply, probably because this system is already running games on the wire ;)
We think TC is one of the few real technologies to come out of Java... and
saying "hey look here, TC is not only king of the web, its also king of the
Java application"... we believe ;)

Regards.... Having fun with TC....