tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Maduranga <madura...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Runs OutOfMemory (Not at repeated WAR deployments)
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 16:59:06 GMT
OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 2)

I have 2G ram for JVM, but I would like to stick with 1G if its possible.

With the change of JVM settings still no positive result.. therefore I
will switch back to Xms and Xms as you say. (with a same value -- 1G may be?).

Do you recommend upgrading to Tomcat 6?

Thanks Chuck for your responses, much appreciated!

/Maduranga

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Caldarale, Charles R
<Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> wrote:
>> From: maduranga@gmail.com [mailto:maduranga@gmail.com]
>> Subject: Tomcat Runs OutOfMemory (Not at repeated WAR deployments)
>>
>> I changed many JVM parameters with no luck and currently it is:
>> -server -Xms512m -Xmx2048m -XX:NewSize=128m -XX:MaxNewSize=128m
>> -XX:SurvivorRatio=4
>
> I would strongly recommend against playing with NewSize, MaxNewSize, or SurvivorRatio;
getting them even slightly out of kilter can foul things up pretty quickly.

> What platform are you running on?  If it's not 64-bit, the -Xmx2048m won't work.  How
much RAM do you have that you can give to the JVM?  Your -Xmx setting must be noticeably smaller
than that, or you'll get into page thrashing.

> Setting -Xms and -Xmx to the same value is usually benficial.
>
> Moving up to a 1.6 JVM may help.
>
> You should run a heap profiler and find out exactly what is consuming the heap and where
it's being allcoated.

>  - Chuck

Maduranga