tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jason Cipriani" <jason.cipri...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [6.0.16] JNDI, MSSQL, context.xml, server.xml, web.xml, common/lib, DataSources, exceptions, configuration hell, vague tutorials, hidden documentation, lions, tigers, bears, oh my...
Date Sun, 06 Jul 2008 16:08:22 GMT
On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Caldarale, Charles R
<Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> wrote:
>> From: Jason Cipriani [mailto:jason.cipriani@gmail.com]
>> Subject: [6.0.16] JNDI, MSSQL, context.xml, server.xml,
>> web.xml, common/lib, DataSources, exceptions, configuration
>> hell, vague tutorials, hidden documentation, lions, tigers,
>> bears, oh my...
>>
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html
>
> You would have saved yourself a lot of trouble by using the documentation relevant to
the Tomcat version you're using:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html

Yes, I would have, thanks for the link. My problem is that I'm not
really a good Java web application programmer, and before trying to
set this up I had no idea what JNDI or DataSources were at all (that
was part of the "gory details" I left out) -- so reading the (very
helpful now that I know what I'm looking at) JNDI section in the
Tomcat docs didn't mean anything to me when I was just setting up
Tomcat.

I went in to #java, asked about JDBC DataManagers, was pointed towards
DataSources instead, and Googled from there on out.

One disappointing thing is that as I was researching this, even when I
asked in #tomcat (and #java), on freenode, specifically for relevant
documentation -- nobody referenced that. Everybody just offered the
same varying and incorrect advice that you'll find when Googling on
the internet. At that point I had forgotten about the Tomcat docs,
having already gotten everything I wanted out of them when setting up
Tomcat to begin with.

> Read the real doc first, Google second.  The doc links from the Tomcat home page are
pretty easy to follow.

Well:
1. Read the real doc.
2. Ask on mailing list.
3. Read the real doc again.
4. Google.
5. IRC.

Thanks again for pointing that out, and sorry for asking a dumb question.

Jason