tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Gregor Schneider" <>
Subject Re: Strange behaviour of JPDA within Tomcat 5.5
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2008 17:54:48 GMT
Hi Chuck,

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 6:20 PM, Caldarale, Charles R
<> wrote:
> Yes - use the address=localhost:<port> option on the -agentlib startup parameter.
That was the hint I was looking for - however, I did it a bit more simple:

I just changed JPDA_ADRESS to in
${catalina_home}/bin/, and it works.

Unfortunately, I can't switch to JDK 6 since it's a
production-environment - maybe somebody else can confirm / decline
this behaviour for JDK 6.

Quick summary of what to do to remote-debug safely (provided you're
running Tomcat 5 on Linux):

- make sure you've got an SSH-demon running
- change JPDA_ADRESS to in ${catalina_home}/bin/
- start tomcat via ${catalina_home}/bin/

- get a copy of putty for your client
- create a tunnel for your ssh-connection and forward your JPDA-port
(usually 8787)
- open an ssh-connection to your server with putty
- you can then connect to${JPDA_PORT}, the request will be
forwared to your JPDA-port via an SSH-tunnel on your server and debug
happily on your client

Cheers & thanks to Chuck!

gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2
gpgp-key available @

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: