tomcat-users mailing list archives

From J Ilari Moilanen <imoil...@cc.helsinki.fi>
Subject Re: preventing manifest write
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 13:28:28 GMT
Thanks for the opinion.
I've looked through different options. At the moment I have no
applications live at all so 40 is too much. So when gogaddy's price for a
hosting account is about 4-5 euros that is about the right price for me.
If I would pay much more then my motivation to build applications faster
would be higher though ;)
I've had to regress back to using normal servlets and JSP so I have much
more work to do than what I would have if I used normal tools. Godaddy
does not allow Struts 2 or even Hibernate so I feel like I code in the
stoneage...

Regards,
Ilari

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Leon Rosenberg wrote:
> a bit off off-topic, but what do you consider cheap? there are
> providers our there that will grant you root level access to a
> dedicated server for less than 40 euros per month, where you can do
> whatever you want with the machine.
> Perhaps you should go for one of those.
>
> regards
> Leon
>
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 3:00 PM, J Ilari Moilanen
> <imoilane@cc.helsinki.fi> wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply.
> >
> > I'm aware of the need for writable work directory. I can only assume that
> > GoDaddy has setup the server so that the directory is writable during
> > deployment procedure but not during application execution (apart from jsp
> > compilation). And I can guess (without looking onto tomcat code) that the
> > problem here is that Tomcat tries to write something that it does not need
> > to do during normal servlet execution. But that does not help me with my
> > problem.
> >
> > As for the Tomcat being old I'm aware of that too. And so is GoDaddy.
> > They provide java as an extra service and their attitude towards Java
> > users is that "We provide you no assistance and we will prevent you from
> > doing any harm to other users and yourself" :) I would not recmmend it as
> > a service provider to any other but for the ones that search for a cheap
> > java hosting provider. So I'm not holding my hopes up for getting any help
> > from there to this problem either.
> >
> > Regards,

> >> Tomcat must have access to a writable work directory for several reasons, including
expanding war files and storage of compiled JSPs.  Check the Tomcat configuration for your
version to see how to configure the work directory location.