tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Adam Gordon" <adam.gor...@readytalk.com>
Subject RE: Does mod_jk support chunked encoding?
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:42:48 GMT
Really?  I mean, we already have mod_jk setup and all, it's just that we zip the files up server
side and when that's all finished, we send the file on down via the response's output stream.
 I tried modifying our servlet last night to construct the ZipOutputStream from the response's
output stream and it worked, only the file we tested it on was only around 600K and I don't
know what the threshold is to trigger chunked encoding.  Unfortunately, everything is over
HTTPS which means I can't use WireShark to look at the HTTP headers to make sure it's actually
using chunked encoding and when I removed the rewrite rule that forced everything over HTTPS,
i.e. do the download over HTTP, the download actually stopped working...

I'll just write a new servlet this morning that's (mostly) independent of our web app and
try again over HTTP with a much larger file.  If it works, fantastic!

Thanks for the response.

--adam

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Whittington [mailto:tim.whittington@orionhealth.com]
Sent: Tue 7/15/2008 6:51 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Does mod_jk support chunked encoding?

mod_jk does chunked encoding on all dynamic responses (e.g. From Tomcat)
that donĀ¹t already have some form of response end set (e.g. A Content-Length
header).
To be accurate I think this is more a function of Apache than mod_jk.
All you should need to do is connect Tomcat to Apache using mod_jk and it
should work out of the box.

tim