tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Faris Ahmed" <>
Subject Reuse Windows Logon credentials
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:54:02 GMT
Dear list,

I would like use Tomcat instead of IIS in this environment:

1)      Client computer running Windows Internet Explorer.

2)      Web server computer running a web application in Microsoft IIS 6.0.

3)      Database server computer running Microsoft SQL server with Windows Authentication.

4)      All three computers are members in one Windows 2003 domain.

User interaction:

1)      User logs on to the client computer with a Microsoft domain user account and starts

2)      User browses to the webapp and is immediately logged in as the domain user in step
1 (no extra login takes place on the server).

3)      The webapp access Microsoft SQL server on a third computer and reuses the Windows
credentials to login to SQL server.

In a pure Windows environment only one logon is necessary on the client computer. The user
security credentials are reused on the web server and the database server without extra login.

Question: Can I do the same with Tomcat replacing IIS? This means:

1)      Can Tomcat accept\understand the Windows credentials from the client computer?

2)      Can the web app inside Tomcat reuse the credentials and access SQL server using JDBC
and Windows authentication.

The JCIFS ( is not enough for my environment
because I only get the user name in Tomcat.

 I appreciate your help

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Faris Ahmed | Development Project Manager | Infor | Tel: +49 (0) 6151 866 7814 | Fax: +49
(0) 6151 866 7088 |

Postanschrift: Infor Global Solutions Darmstadt GmbH | Landwehrstr. 50, 64293 Darmstadt |
Sitz der Gesellschaft ist Darmstadt | Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Darmstadt, HRB 5556 | Geschäftsführer:
Jochen Kasper,Uwe Richter