tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Faris Ahmed" <Faris.Ah...@infor.com>
Subject Reuse Windows Logon credentials
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:54:02 GMT
Dear list,

I would like use Tomcat instead of IIS in this environment:

1)      Client computer running Windows Internet Explorer.

2)      Web server computer running a web application in Microsoft IIS 6.0.

3)      Database server computer running Microsoft SQL server with Windows Authentication.

4)      All three computers are members in one Windows 2003 domain.

User interaction:

1)      User logs on to the client computer with a Microsoft domain user account and starts
IE.

2)      User browses to the webapp and is immediately logged in as the domain user in step
1 (no extra login takes place on the server).

3)      The webapp access Microsoft SQL server on a third computer and reuses the Windows
credentials to login to SQL server.

In a pure Windows environment only one logon is necessary on the client computer. The user
security credentials are reused on the web server and the database server without extra login.

Question: Can I do the same with Tomcat replacing IIS? This means:

1)      Can Tomcat accept\understand the Windows credentials from the client computer?

2)      Can the web app inside Tomcat reuse the credentials and access SQL server using JDBC
and Windows authentication.

Note:

The JCIFS (http://jcifs.samba.org/src/docs/ntlmhttpauth.html) is not enough for my environment
because I only get the user name in Tomcat.

 I appreciate your help

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Faris Ahmed | Development Project Manager | Infor | Tel: +49 (0) 6151 866 7814 | Fax: +49
(0) 6151 866 7088 | mailto:faris.ahmed@infor.com

Postanschrift: Infor Global Solutions Darmstadt GmbH | Landwehrstr. 50, 64293 Darmstadt |
Sitz der Gesellschaft ist Darmstadt | Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Darmstadt, HRB 5556 | Geschäftsführer:
Jochen Kasper,Uwe Richter