tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael Clovis <ms.clo...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: appbase and docbase
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2008 20:43:11 GMT
Chuck,
    Thanks for the quick response..
   I am set up to test the issue on tomcat 5.5 and 6 and am currently
testing on 6.
The context.xml within the META-INF directory for foo.war
is currently <Context debug="0">
<resource  ... values for resources...
/>
</Context>

after clearing out the work directory and restarting the error is the
same as before..
ie.

SEVERE: Error starting static Resources
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base /roller does not exist
or is not a readabl$
        at
org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext.setDocBase(FileDirContext.java:141)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.resourcesStart(StandardContext.java:3957)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4126)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:791)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:771)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:525)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:626)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptors(HostConfig.java:553)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:488)

Still a little confused..

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Michael Clovis [mailto:ms.clovis@verizon.net]
>> Subject: appbase and docbase
>>
>> For an application let's call it foo and it is in a war and
>> meant to be "executed" as such.. so foo.war is placed within
>> the webapps directory.
>> Within the META-INF directory of the foo war is a context.xml that
>> states the path="/foo" and the docBase="roller.war".
>>

> Assuming you're running on a reasonably modern version of Tomcat (which you didn't bother
to tell us), the path and docBase attributes are not allowed for a <Context> element
in META-INF/context.xml; remove them, and try it again.