tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: tomcat giving a response without parsing the header at all
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:37:26 GMT
tomcat tom wrote:
> webDAV scenario
>
> i have to authenticate an incoming url with the "settings" in the access
> control list on the server
>
> while doing so, i should get an 403 error, because of not having 'write'
> permissions
>
> so the user authentication happens at the acl itself, before even the header
> parsing happens...

Hi.
It sounds like there is a logical thinking issue here.

1. Something is sending a request asking Tomcat something.
2. In order to know what is asked, Tomcat has to read and parse the request.
3. Once the request (including the headers) is parsed, *then* Tomcat
knows that the requester maybe wants to put a file somewhere, via DAV.
4. Only then can Tomcat and DAV look at the target directory and figure
out that there is no permission to write there (because of ACLs or
whatever).
5. Once they have figured that out, then they can send a "permission
denied" error response.

It would be great if Tomcat and DAV would somehow guess in advance what
it is you really want, and anticipate a response without even reading
the question, but that is not how it currently works.  You can always
file a request to the developers for future enhancements though, maybe
for Tomcat 7; I'm sure they'll think of something.

André