tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: [Same Behavior]Connections timing out even with validation query??
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:20:26 GMT
I don't think "1000*60" is a valid expression for
timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis -- at least I've never tried putting math
expressions where an integer constant should be.  It should be set to
60000.  Also are you keeping your connections in code or closing them
when finished?  They should be closed as soon as reasonable so they can
return to the connection pool.

--David

Ken Bowen wrote:
> Unfortunately, overnight produced the same Exception, even with the
> settings described.
> Any other thoughts anyone?
>
> --Ken
>
> On Jul 15, 2008, at 12:34 PM, Ken Bowen wrote:
>
>> Definitely a plan.  I put the following in my context.xml:
>>
>>         validationQuery="select 1"
>>          testWhileIdle="true"
>>          timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis="1000*60"
>>          removeAbandoned="true"
>>
>> I set connect_timeout=5 in /etc/my.cnf,  and restarted both mysql and
>> tomcat.
>> After 30min, everything's fine, but that's not much of test.  I'll
>> see what it looks like tomorrow morning.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ken

>>> <http://commons.apache.org/dbcp/configuration.html>
>>>
>>> You might try setting testWhileIdle to true (with a reasonable value
>>> for  timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis) and removeAbandoned to true.
>>>
>>> Just to see if that changes/eliminates the symptom...
>>>
>>> FWIW,
>>> --
>>> Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder@gmail.com

David Smith
Programmer/Analyst
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Cornell University
B32 Morrison Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853
Phone: (607) 255-4521