tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: tomcat, apache with mod_jk and mod_auth_kerb
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:31:20 GMT
Nikhil wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 6:35 PM, Rainer Jung <rainer.jung@kippdata.de>
> wrote:
>
> What do you expect to be the value of the 'REMOTE_USER' variable? Do you
>> expoect something else, than what you get from request.getRemoteUser()? What
>> do you mean by variable? Maybe an httpd environment Variable?
>>

> Precisely. I also need the httpd environment variable REMOTE_USER  also
> passed to the tomcat .... I have this in my httpd.conf ... and I am reading
> all the environment variables(apart from the headers) in the jsp but have
> these values set to null... am I missing anything specific with these
> directives?
>

>   SetHandler jakarta-servlet
>   RequestHeader set X_REMOTE_USER %{RU}e
>   SetEnv SET_REMOTE_USER %{REMOTE_USER}e
>   JkEnvVar JK_REMOTE_USER %{remoteUser}e

As far as I know, REMOTE_USER is a *http header* of the request, added
automatically by the browser if the user is authenticated.  And as all
http request headers, it is always passed on to Tomcat.
At the Tomcat level, you can retrieve it like any other http header (I
don't remember the precise way).
But this has nothing to do with "environment values".
In other words, you do not really need to mess around with environment
values in Apache/Tomcat (like above), just retrieve the corresponding
http header, it should already be there.
No ?

André