tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Apache/mod_jk serves random files from tomcat
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 21:21:44 GMT
dave.smith schrieb:
>> Wow. That's weird. Is Tomcat serving the file, or is httpd serving it?
>
> Not too weird.  I am experiencing the same thing with Tomcat 5.5 and mod_jk
> 1.2.23.  I have Tomcat serving everything.
>
> I am also using a load balancer that sends an OPTION every 2 seconds to each
> web server to make sure that the server is alive.
>
> This intermittent random response issue is really killing me.

Could you please also add some info:

Tomcat version?

And from my previous mail:

What's you platform and which httpd MPM (prefork orworker or something
else) do you use? For some platforms (e.g. AIX) the detection of
multi-threading in httpd during mpod_jk build-time was broken. Starting
with 1.2.24 we build always including multi-thread support unless
explicitely stated via a configure option. If you 1.2.23 build is not
thread safe, but your httpd uses threads (like with worker mpm), then
such trouble is possible, although more likely you would see crashes
etc. For most platforms like Linux and Solaris the threading detection
was OK already before 1.2.24.

Another possible (but not very likely) cause could be bug 44494 of
Tomcat 6.0.16/5.5.26 which under certain circumstances could leave data
in the request object after request handling completed. You could try
either downgrading to 6.0.15/5.5.25 or upgrading to the soon to be
expected 6.0.17/5.5.27.

I would also add the access log on the Tomcat side. If you find the same
phenomenon there, then it's unlikely, that httpd/mod_jk are responsible
and the reason should be inside Tomcat or the webapp.

Can you reproduce the problem on a test system?

Regards,

Rainer