tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sérgio Vieira Rolanski <ser...@strategos.com.br>
Subject Re: Problem publishing application to debian with tomcat 5.5.17
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:33:16 GMT
I converted my jsp file to UTF-8 and set the file.enconding on
JAVA_OPTS, but still have the problem. Also another person here tried
this on a different computer not using Integer object but String objects
instead and it gives the same error. What I find more weird is that it
says the value is equal to 1 ("value=1") on the exception's message, but
nothing is being set to 1 anywhere on the code.

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Value is no String
(class=java.lang.Integer, value=1) and .......

or that has nothing to do with the value I'm setting?

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Sérgio Vieira Rolanski [mailto:sergio@strategos.com.br]
>> Subject: Re: Problem publishing application to debian with
>> tomcat 5.5.17
>>
>> I believe you mean the System.GetProperty("file.encoding")
>>

>> on my windows computer I get "Cp1252" and on my
>> debian server I get "UTF-8".
>>
> It's System.getProperty(), but yes.
> That might account for the difference in behavior that you see, but might be a red herring.
>

>> How do I change it to be same on both computers?
>>

> You can set the property on the command line when you start any JVM with -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8;
for Tomcat set the JAVA_OPTS environment variable to that, in addition to any other options
you might need.

>> Should I use UTF-8, right?
>>

> Probably, but that really depends on the character set your files (including JSPs) are
coded in.  If you make sure everything is stored in UTF-8, that's what you should use.