tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Paolo Niccolò Giubelli <paoloniccolo.giube...@itestense.it>
Subject Re: Make uploaded files survive to re-deploy
Date Fri, 04 Jul 2008 17:25:59 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R ha scritto:
adds unnecessary complexity and impacts performance for dynamic content.

>>> If I use an external directory, it would be difficult
>>> to make those files accessible to the webpages...
>
> It's not really difficult.  Define a <Context> element for an additional webapp
that targets the external directory via a docBase attribute, and place that <Context>
element in conf/Catalina/[host]/[newAppName].xml; use something like "images" (without the
quotes) for [newAppName].  Tomcat's DefaultServlet will happily retrieve and display images
or other static content from there when referenced via http://[host]/[newAppName]/[file].[type].

>  - Chuck

Uhm, maybe I'm not understanding, but... what if [newAppName] needs to
be reloaded? I'm going to loose everything as before, aren't I? I need
  a place to put files, so to forget to save them when I need to
republish anything. Consider this situation: I'm on vacancy (ok, that's
SCI-FI) and a colleague of mine (that isn't a TC master) wants to deploy
an updated web project (let's say a .WAR file) without my help. He can't
do that now, because he doesn't know how to access via ssh to the
server, backup the files and so on..