tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: How to turn off tomcat daemon?
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 12:26:56 GMT
You shouldn't need to kill any java processes.  If the java process is
spawned by jsvc, then jsvc will signal it to stop.  You can tell that in
the long format ps command with java having a parent process id equal to
the jsvc process id.  Also be aware some webapps take a while to clean
up and shutdown -- your kill command may not be immediate.

--David

kjwchu wrote:
> Thanks, but I also noticed there is a java process. Kill it too?
> There is no graceful shutodwn or exit?
>
> /jdk1.5.0_15/bin/java
> -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
> -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/nreg/apache-tomcat-6.0.16/conf/logging.properties
> -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/nreg/apache-tomcat-6.0.16/endorsed -classpath
> :/nreg/apache-tomcat-6.0.16/bin/bootstrap.jar
> -Dcatalina.base=/nreg/apache-tomcat-6.0.16
> -Dcatalina.home=/nreg/apache-tomcat-6.0.16
> -Djava.io.tmpdir=/nreg/apache-tomcat-6.0.16/temp
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start
>

> David Smith-2 wrote:
>
>> Just kill the jsvc process.  It'll trap the signal and send a proper
>> shutdown to tomcat.  See the sample service script provided with jsvc
>> source.
>>
>> --David
>>
>> kjwchu wrote:
>>
>>> I ran tomcat as a  daemon via the command below:
>>> ./bin/jsvc -cp ./bin/bootstrap.jar -outfile ./logs/catalina.out -errfile
>>> ./logs/catalina.err org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
>>>
>>> How to turn if off?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any thoughts.

David Smith
Network Operations Supervisor