tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat bottleneck on InternalInputBuffer.parseRequestLine
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2008 03:43:30 GMT
if you are using keep alive connections, (Tomcat default config)
then once a request is done, the system goes into reading the next
request, and that is done by calling parseRequestLine, so this is not a
bottleneck, but expected behavior.
if you switch to the NIO connector, that doesn't do block reading during
a keep alive, your numbers would show differently. however, the perf
numbers you are looking at are no cause for concern

Filip

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Christophe Fondacci
>> [mailto:christophefondacci@nextep-softwares.com]
>> Subject: Tomcat bottleneck on InternalInputBuffer.parseRequestLine
>>
>> This problem may be related to the one listed here :
>> http://grokbase.com/profile/id:hNxqA0ZEdnD-6GYFRNs-iIkKEvF907F
>> NWdczKYQ719Q
>>

> I would have my doubts about a five-year-old problem description being pertinent to today's
Tomcat.

>> When the problem occurs, we can see threads which are
>> stucked with the following call stack :
>>
>> at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
>> at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:129)
>> at
>> org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalInputBuffer.fill
>> (InternalInputBuffer.java:700)
>> at
>> org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalInputBuffer.parseRequestLine
>> (InternalInputBuffer.java:366)
>>

> It looks like the parser is waiting for more of the request to show up.  Are you positive
that the stalled requests are well-formed?  Is it possible that there's something not quite
thread safe in your client on Server A that might be corrupting the request stream as it's
being generated?  Can you run a Wireshark or equivalent trace and observe one of the slow
ones?  (That may be tricky.)