tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6 CometProcessor interface
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2008 03:39:47 GMT
Ken Bowen wrote:
> This is a follow up on using Tomcat 6 and the CometProcessor interface:
>
> A.  From Kris Zyp's post on
> [http://cometdaily.com/2007/12/10/comet-gazing-scaling/  ],
>     with the Tomcat CometProcessor,  connections and threads are
> decoupled, so that
>     the number of connections  can can scale independently of the
> number of threads.
>     Schmidt/Javaloggy
> [http://www.javalobby.org/java/forums/t92965.html -- 4/5/07] cites
> tests by
>     Filip Hanik scaling from 1000 --> 16,000 connections, but some of
> the comments (#8, MikeP)
>     were less than enthusiastic, suggesting that maybe not all 16000
> were properly served.
>     That's a year old.  Is there any more up-to-date info available?
>
>     Are there any production examples of the Tomcat 6 comet processor
> scaling  at least this far,
>     if not up into the 10's of 1,000's ??
all the platforms are fairly similar, most of the servlet containers,
including tomcat, scale beyond what the applications can handle.
usually applications bog down, before the container, and that will most
likely be your bottleneck.

> B.  Zyp [http://cometdaily.com/2007/12/10/comet-gazing-scaling/]
> states "... the difficulty of
>     horizontally scaling...  implementing a publish/subscribe type
> Comet mechanism on Tomcat that
>     scales efficiently across multiple machines would require
> significant  effort to properly route and
>     distribute messages effectively."
>
>     Again, that's a year old What is the status on this?  Our target
> is to run in a cluster.
>
> C.   Besides the chat pseudo-code at
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/aio.html, are there      other
> available examples?
there is a demo available at
http://people.apache.org/~fhanik/comet-tomcat-trunk.zip

it doesn't use 6.0.x, but trunk version of tomcat, included in the
download.
The demo itself is very simple
StockTicker.java - the applet
TickerServlet.java - the servlet

it shows three different ways of achieving the same thing, and shows how
the resource management differs

Filip