tomcat-users mailing list archives

From buzzterrier <terry.je...@gmail.com>
Subject force stop not working under linux
Date Sat, 12 Jul 2008 04:41:56 GMT

Hello,

I am using the latest tomcat55 with Centos. I start tomcat from a console,
but when I stop it using catalina.sh stop, the process does not stop
completely.  If I do a ps-ef | grep tomcat, I ge:

buzzterrier 30975     1  0 20:58 ?        00:00:05
/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_06/bin/java
-Djava.security.auth.login.config=/opt/tomcat5/conf/jaas.conf
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/opt/tomcat5/conf/logging.properties
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=/opt/tomcat5/common/endorsed -classpath
:/opt/tomcat5/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/tomcat5/bin/commons-logging-api.jar
-Dcatalina.base=/opt/tomcat5 -Dcatalina.home=/opt/tomcat5
-Djava.io.tmpdir=/opt/tomcat5/temp org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
start

 I tried the catalina.sh stop -force but that told me that it could not find
the CATALINA_PID. I finally figured out that if I set the path to the pid
file in catalina.sh, that it would create it on the fly. However, the pid in
the $CATALINA_PID file does not match the pid that gets orphaned. So even
though tomcat successfully kills that pid, it does not solve the problem.
Anyone have any ideas?