tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Fredrik Tolf <fred...@dolda2000.com>
Subject Blocking threads in Tomcat
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2008 04:11:19 GMT
Hi list!

I've had some issues with requests not being carried out in parallel by
Tomcat. My problem is that I haven't been able to figure out when a
worker thread blocks and when it does not.

To try and pin down the behavior, I did a little experiment. I took a
servlet that I had, that handles to separate URLs; let's call them "/a"
and "/b". To try out the parallelism, I added a little delay in the
servlet code by calling Thread.sleep(10000). I then tried them out in
two browser tabs, and I find the results much enigmatic.

When I try to access "/a" in one tab and "/b" in another, they both load
in 10 seconds each -- that is, if I start the request for "/a" at
12:00:10 and the request for "/b" at 12:00:15, the request for "/a" will
finish at 12:00:20, and the request for "/b" will finish at 12:00:25. As
one would expect.

However, when I request "/a" in both tabs, the requests seem to be
carried out in sequence -- that is, if I again st´╗┐art the request in tab
1 for "/a" at 12:00:10 and the request for in tab 2 for, also for "/a",
at 12:00:15, the request for tab 1 will finish at 12:00:20, and the
request for tab 2 will finish at 12:00:30.

Why is this? Is Tomcat explicitly not handling two requests for the
exact same URL in parallel? It is the only explanation I can think of,
but I cannot figure out how or why it would make sense. If it is indeed
the case, can I somehow tell Tomcat to not do that?

Thanks for your attention!

Fredrik Tolf