tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Re direction in tomcat 5.5
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:13:30 GMT
> From: Gordon, Jack [mailto:jack.w.gordon@okstate.edu]
> Subject: RE: Re direction in tomcat 5.5
>
> I'm running TomCat 5.5 on a windows server.

You're running Tomcat, not TomCat.

> I am trying to get everything redirected to the ssl port 8443.

Read section 12 of the servlet spec (JSR-000154).  Only protected resources with a <transport-guarantee>
of CONFIDENTIAL or better will be automatically redirected to the SSL port.  Note that the
world's most popular and standards-ignoring browser (IE) frequently mishandles SSL on any
port other than 443.

> Should I just disable port 8080 in the system.xml

(That's server.xml; precision counts.)

You can do that, but browsers would show an error when attempting a normal connection.  You
could write a simple filter or valve that just redirects HTTP requests to HTTPS on the desired
port.

 - Chuck