tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Setting context in tomcat6
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2008 13:51:27 GMT
> From: vibhuti [mailto:vibhuti.gupta@thePSI.com]
> Subject: RE: Setting context in tomcat6
>
> if I want that URL http://localhost:8080/ should
> redirect user to the home page of my application
> then what should I do?

The default webapp must be named ROOT (case sensitive).  You'll need to delete (or rename)
Tomcat's default ROOT directory, and replace it with your webapp (ROOT directory or ROOT.war
file).

> What does attribute of web application exactly mean?

Anything defined for the webapp inside the <Context> element, such as resources, valves,
etc.

> If there are no changes made to the application attributes
> then can we use <Context> element in server.xml or using a
> <Context> element in server.xml will have some adverse
> effects on the way web application behaves.

I don't know how much longer that <Context> elements inside server.xml will be supported;
the idea is to keep application information and Tomcat information separate, and lumping it
all into server.xml is counter to that.  Also, you run the risk of multiple and conflicting
deployments with <Context> elements in server.xml and inconsistently named webapps in
the appBase directory.  As I said before, make your life simpler by following standard practice,
not what was current many years ago.

 - Chuck