tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 5.5 hanged . Thread Dump Analyze
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2008 02:38:03 GMT
> From: Olivier Fourel [mailto:olivier.fourel@gmail.com]
> Subject: Tomcat 5.5 hanged . Thread Dump Analyze
>
> our Tomcat production server hanged again.
> We made 2 thread dumps with few minutes between them.

The only thing I found suspicious is that PermGen is at 99% in both of them.  (You also have
a tonne of non-Tomcat threads running around, but none appear hung; I presume your webapps
created these and will dispose of them properly at an appropriate time.)

If you are filling up the PermGen, you should be getting log entries for the OOMEs being thrown
- unless something in your webapps is catching them and throwing them away.  PermGen exhaustion
is frequently caused by poor application design, hanging on to references to classes that
should be discarded.  This link (from the Tomcat FAQ) contains some interesting comments:
http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/spring/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=2669

You might try increasing the PermGen size, but that is likely only to delay the inevitable
until you fix the memory leak.  You can monitor the PermGen growth with JConsole with little
impact on performance.

 - Chuck