tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Runs OutOfMemory (Not at repeated WAR deployments)
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 15:49:36 GMT
> From: maduranga@gmail.com [mailto:maduranga@gmail.com]
> Subject: Tomcat Runs OutOfMemory (Not at repeated WAR deployments)
>
> I changed many JVM parameters with no luck and currently it is:
> -server -Xms512m -Xmx2048m -XX:NewSize=128m -XX:MaxNewSize=128m
> -XX:SurvivorRatio=4

I would strongly recommend against playing with NewSize, MaxNewSize, or SurvivorRatio; getting
them even slightly out of kilter can foul things up pretty quickly.

What platform are you running on?  If it's not 64-bit, the -Xmx2048m won't work.  How much
RAM do you have that you can give to the JVM?  Your -Xmx setting must be noticeably smaller
than that, or you'll get into page thrashing.

Setting -Xms and -Xmx to the same value is usually benficial.

Moving up to a 1.6 JVM may help.

You should run a heap profiler and find out exactly what is consuming the heap and where it's
being allcoated.

 - Chuck