tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat bottleneck on InternalInputBuffer.parseRequestLine
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2008 17:31:54 GMT
> From: Christophe Fondacci
> [mailto:christophefondacci@nextep-softwares.com]
> Subject: Tomcat bottleneck on InternalInputBuffer.parseRequestLine
>
> This problem may be related to the one listed here :
> http://grokbase.com/profile/id:hNxqA0ZEdnD-6GYFRNs-iIkKEvF907F
> NWdczKYQ719Q

I would have my doubts about a five-year-old problem description being pertinent to today's
Tomcat.

> When the problem occurs, we can see threads which are
> stucked with the following call stack :
>
> at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
> at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:129)
> at
> org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalInputBuffer.fill
> (InternalInputBuffer.java:700)
> at
> org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalInputBuffer.parseRequestLine
> (InternalInputBuffer.java:366)

It looks like the parser is waiting for more of the request to show up.  Are you positive
that the stalled requests are well-formed?  Is it possible that there's something not quite
thread safe in your client on Server A that might be corrupting the request stream as it's
being generated?  Can you run a Wireshark or equivalent trace and observe one of the slow
ones?  (That may be tricky.)

 - Chuck