tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Make uploaded files survive to re-deploy
Date Fri, 04 Jul 2008 16:14:38 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2008 5:39 PM
Subject: RE: Make uploaded files survive to re-deploy

> From: Johnny Kewl [mailto:john@kewlstuff.co.za]
> Subject: Re: Make uploaded files survive to re-deploy
>
> We us the Apache web server as well, and we dump image
> files to that....

That adds unnecessary complexity and impacts performance for dynamic
content.

> > If I use an external directory, it would be difficult
> > to make those files accessible to the webpages...

It's not really difficult.  Define a <Context> element for an additional
webapp that targets the external directory via a docBase attribute, and
place that <Context> element in conf/Catalina/[host]/[newAppName].xml; use
something like "images" (without the quotes) for [newAppName].  Tomcat's
DefaultServlet will happily retrieve and display images or other static
content from there when referenced via
http://[host]/[newAppName]/[file].[type].

 - Chuck

Yes, the above is also good ;)

ps...

Hi Chuck... always giving me a hard time... was actually just thinking,
where the #!# is Chuck ;)
Anyway... please have a look at this other thread as well..... Re: Tomcat
5.5.25 freezes
Guys are struggling and I dont know what the problem is.... give em some
more idea's to try.