tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Make uploaded files survive to re-deploy
Date Fri, 04 Jul 2008 15:30:06 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paolo Niccolò Giubelli" <paoloniccolo.giubelli@itestense.it>
To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2008 4:25 PM
Subject: Make uploaded files survive to re-deploy

> Hi! I'm very enthusiastic about tomcat, but I have a problem. I deployed
> several web applications into an apache tomcat 5.5 webserver instance, and
> most of them get images from the clients via file upload. Sometimes I need
> to change something or correct bugs, and obviously I need to redeploy the
> applications. How can I make uploaded files survive to this task, without
> using backup copies and/or using the database to store them(a lot of
> people told me that this could kill sql performances)? If I use an
> external directory, it would be difficult to make those files accessible
> to the webpages...
> Any help appreciated.
> Thank you in advance!
>
> Paolo

This is what we do, theres probably many ways...
We us the Apache web server as well, and we dump image files to that.... we
do use a dB but only to store file locations (URIs), not files.
 It will kill most dB's if you store huge blobs.... then how it works is
that the JSP pages or servlets simply use the link to the Apache server
image in the page.
So JSP goes to browser... browser sucks image from Apache... TC is free ;)
Why we did it like this but it never got big enuf to test it fully... is
that if the images got huge, the idea is we can dump images to other SP's on
cheap static sites, and TC still controls them.... I thought it was neat
anyway ;)

I've seen other guys do deployment tricks like deploy unpacked wars to TC,
but in general they are not worth the pain.
Then in a similar idea to our Apache idea.... some guys use a dedicated
web-app to store images, and linux guys just laugh at us MS guys and use
symlinks.

Why Apache is nice... is because TC can run behind it... so its all port 80.
Anyway if you jjust realize that a browser comes back for images and IFrames
and script files.... etc... you'll see it doesnt really matter what server
they on.

Have Fun...

The only real POJO Application Server.