tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <>
Subject Re: How do I do this with Tomcat?
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 14:37:54 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dhanisworo Dhanisworo" <>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <>
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2008 11:16 AM
Subject: How do I do this with Tomcat?

> Hi all
> regarding  the problem I've posted before about IE showing balnk page,
> I've
> found this article on how to deal with this issue.
> which said
> "Now I know all of that is old IE 6 crap. In fact, I dismissed the page
> the
> first time. But the second reply below contains a .htaccess line I
> eventually ended up testing. And ... it worked. Low and behold, the
> problem
> seemed to have disappeared (which is the problem with irradic bugs, you
> don't know whether you fixed it or moved it).
> Anyways, after that I found something on Apache about keepalive and POST
> and
> how a POST request should not receive any more data after it's done. Well
> figured it out. IE was sending a keepalive header (even though I was
> explicitly telling ajax to disable keepalive) and screwing it up in the
> process. Apache waits for 90 seconds then timeouts and just decides to
> proceed and discard all of the POST data. Apparantly my server is more
> sensitive to this problem than my previous one.
> This is my sollution:
> <Limit POST>
> SetEnv nokeepalive
> </Limit>
> This will disable keepalive for any POST request, but not change it for
> or whatever (which is not a problem because you're meant to close POST
> requests anyways).
> "
> The problem ishow I do it with Tomcat ?
> Can anybody help me ?
> Thank you in advance.
> best regards,Dyan

Dylan.... what is the actual problem?
Are you using Ajax?

Anyway... you set tomcats keep alive stuff in the connector...
maxKeepAliveRequests... but its a connector.... so I think its 'all' off or

I would try a few other things as well....
The page that is sent to the browser, make it http/1.0
Set close connection header

And then in your Ajax post make sure you do the same... with the headers...
content type, content length, close connection... and hopefully it uses the
pages http/1.0

I would even try setup GWT for a POST and see the ajax it makes... its
supposed to work on any browser.

I have not seen this issue on IE, and I'm a little dubious because Ajax is
just so damn tricky to begin with.

On tomcat, assuming you dont have apache in front of it... I think the keep
alives are off or on... and controlled thru http headers as stated.

Otherwise the kludge above which is Apache???? I guess... could be used with
TC on JK... maybe.
Got to tell you... vague question ;)

Have fun...

To start a new topic, e-mail: