tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Access Local File System
Date Sun, 06 Jul 2008 03:35:13 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "bperquku" <bperquku@gmail.com>
To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 05, 2008 11:13 PM
Subject: Access Local File System

> I have written i simple web application using Eclipse and Tomcat 6. I'm
> trying to stream a flv video in jsp page. It works good if flv file is
> located under webroot, but when i change location ex. c:/ the file is not
> loaded. I'm using jw player so i opened a question in that forum, and i
> received an answer that there is no way to access local filesystem from
> tomcat (http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?thread=11464) . here is my sample
> code:

> Get the Flash Player to see this video.</div>
> <script type="text/javascript" src="swfobject.js"></script>
> <script type="text/javascript">
> var s1 = new SWFObject("mediaplayer.swf","mediaplayer","500","450","8");
> s1.addParam("allowfullscreen","true");
> s1.addVariable("width","500");
> s1.addVariable("height","450");
> s1.addVariable('file', 'file:///C:/video/star.flv');
> s1.write("container");
> </script>
>
> Im trying to load a file that is located into c:/video
> Any idea,
> Thanks in advance
> --

Well, I think this is enuf to confuse anyone ;)
You see the script runs in the browser... so this
('file:///C:/video/star.flv') looks like you trying to access a file on the
local system... "on the users machine"... if so you outta luck because a
browser gets unhappy when the page comes from a server and tries to access
the local file system... its a security thing...
But I imagine that when it works you using something like (star.flv) which
probably means
http://thedomain/webapp/star.flv.... and its coming from the server.... but
you want it out side of Tomcat...

Google for Context and DocBase.... you'll figure out how to make tomcat see
a file outside of the normal structure.... it allows you to put the webapp
anywhere on the machine....

Good Luck ;)

The only real POJO Application Server.