tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Access Local File System
Date Sun, 06 Jul 2008 11:36:55 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paolo Niccolò Giubelli" <paoloniccolo.giubelli@itestense.it>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2008 10:10 AM
Subject: Re: Access Local File System

> It's very similar to the situation I described few days ago, so I quote
> what Caldarale told me:
>
>> It's not really difficult. Define a <Context> element for an
> additional webapp that targets the external directory via a docBase
> attribute, and place that <Context> element in
> conf/Catalina/[host]/[newAppName].xml; use something like "images"
> (without the quotes) for [newAppName]. Tomcat's DefaultServlet will
> happily retrieve and display images or other static content from there
> when referenced via http://[host]/[newAppName]/[file].[type].
>

> In your situation, I'd use "videos" as the newAppName.
> In the <Context> tag don't forget to put the docBase="<your_external_path"
> attribute.

Yes Thanks... the reason I always hesistate when it comes to DocBase setups
is because normally the next question from the user has is, "how do I deploy
it".
When the web app is outside of TC, you have to get it there yourself... and
then you can deploy it... ie show TC where it is, using ant or manager
commands.... its getting away from the norm.

With TC there are always a few ways...

What one could also have done is....
make a servlet that gets the file from anywhere, and then the servlet is
mapped to *.flv in this case.... and then deployment of the webapp is
normal, and just the flash files are external...

... I would have used Apache ... ;) and Chuck would give me a hard time
again ;)
You see, Tomcats APR engine is based on Apache's engine, so he gets cheesed
when I throw in the whole Apache as well ;) TC is very quick
already....(same engine)... but I like using them together... I use Apache
as a switch and static content store, and I use TC as the brains and command
center... just me I guess.

There lots of ways but....
One thing that newbies to TC must must learn... is servlets and the MVC
model... ie how to use servlets and JSP pages together... (google will tell
you).... JSP's on their own are only giving one a 1/20th of the power that
TC actually has to offer. If people learn that... then they'll see why I
keep saying the TC *is* the most powerful Java technology ever...
Before you learn Ajax and JSF and JSTL and VWP and and and and... learn that
MVC model.
If you get it... you actually dont need any other frameworks... thats what
all the frameworks use ;)
TC is a very powerful machine... but one will never see it from just using
JSP...

I luv this machine... its the reason we use Java... actually its the reason
I cant remember my wifes name ;)

The only real POJO Application Server.