tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ken Bowen <kbo...@als.com>
Subject NIO/Large-scale pushes to browsers/Jetty 6 Continuations
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2008 19:57:18 GMT
Hi All,

I'm working on a project which has developed a need to push data from
the server to browsers.
In the short term, the numbers of browsers will be moderate, but in
the long term, it appears
that we will need to scale up to very large numbers, so the 'one
thread per connection' issues
of Comet and Pushlets will become significant.

1) Clearly using NIO will help.  My understanding is that NIO works ok
with Tomcat 6; is this correct?
Can it also be used in 5.5?

2) Is there any analogue of Jetty 6 Continuations available in
Tomcat?  They sound like a good mechanism
for this problem.  Does anyone on the list have any experience with
them?

More generally, does anyone have experience with a solution to our
problem (large-scale pushes from server to browser)?

Thanks in advance,
Ken Bowen