tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Fisher <dfis...@jmlafferty.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat producing (near) duplicate Catalina logs
Date Sat, 14 Jun 2008 01:44:27 GMT
Hi Andre,

> I tried, but I'm not finding it.
> Am I the only one in that situation ?

No, I've tried to read both the log4j docs and the tomcat logging
docs. Nowhere is there a good working example that describes some real
world situations. My trouble is different from yours, but I believe we
are both looking for the same thing, an effective guide to tomcat
logging.

The tomcat documentation for JULI talks about using both at the same
time etcetera and somewhere in the muddle switches between.

Sorry, I don't think this is a hijack, it is my frustration.

Here is my situation which is complex and I KNOW is too complicated to
ask for advise on the totality - I've been on the list to absorb
relevant info, and maybe I'm ready.

When we went to 5.5.25 we lost all the really nice SIMPLE logging w/o
bulletproof instructions on how to replace it. It would be nice to
have a cookbook that directly translates the one config to the other
showing how to do it with JULI, with log4j and with both happily co-
existing. This last, for me has been the key part.

My trouble involves my rather weird configuration that grew from
tomcat 3.3 to 4.1 to 5.5. I recently added Roller 4.0 and had to do a
weirder config due its 16MB per context permgen space requirements for
4000 classes moving many of its jars to tomcat/shared/lib ended my
OOM. All my contexts logs are hijacked by Roller, and that is a roller
question that I can't ask due to my weird configuration. But if I
understood better how logging and tomcat interact I could understand.

Watching this list I am confident that I could reconfigure with apache
in front of tomcats w/my webapp and other tomcats w/Roller. This would
be ideal, and different logging mechanisms could be used in each
tomcat. And my problem would "stop", ... And it is what will be done.
I prefer it for many reasons which many on this list have graciously
provided.

I would still like to have someone help me guide through the logging
configuration in some simple scenarios.

If this is done then I promise the people on this wonderful group that
I'll try to distill it into a reasonable FAQ.

I'm on Solaris 8, w/Java 5.

My host context on Tomcat 4.1.31 looks like:

         <Host name="my.url.com" appBase="webapps-url" >
             <Valve
className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve"
                    directory="logs"  prefix="my_url_access."
suffix=".log"
                    pattern="common"/>
                    directory="logs"  prefix="my_url_logger."
suffix=".log"
                timestamp="true"/>
         </Host>

In Tomcat 5.5.26:

         <Host name="my.url.com" appBase="webapps-unity" >
             <Valve
className="org.apache.catalina.valves.FastCommonAccessLogValve"
                    directory="logs"  prefix="my_url_access."
suffix=".log" pattern="common"/>
         </Host>

How do I translate my 4.1.31 Logger to log4j in Tomcat 5.5.25? How do
I do the same for JULI logging? How do I combine the two?

How does the classloader come into play? I know it has some affect
because there is mention in the docs of tomcat/common/ vs. tomcat/
shared/?

Do the answers differ for Tomcat 6?

Now do you see why we simple users who must spend time programming
their apps, are confused? Especially when you go from having a VERY
SIMPLE interface to options you don't care about but are forced to
make. Like which health care plan?

This is critical to me, I ought to go to Tomcat 6 and Java 6 as I go
to Apache / Tomcat (for load balancing, SSL front end and splitting
parts of webapps between differently configured tomcats, I certainly
don't want to waste time with logging configuration,

Regards,
Dave