tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Simon Aquilina <sim...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Custom Connector
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:05:17 GMT

Hi,

I have checked the code but still find it a little bit hard to come with something all by
myself. I was wondering (although I am afraid I already know the answer) is there any book
that explains how tomcat (6.0) internally works and explains how connectors can be developed
for it? I tried searching on Amazon but so far I did not have much luck.

Regards,
Sim085> To: users@tomcat.apache.org> From: wbarker@wilshire.com> Subject: Re: Tomcat
Custom Connector> Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 19:17:03 -0700> > AFAIK, there isn't a lot
of documentation. But there isn't that much too > it. You need to implement a ProtocolHandler
> (http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/api/org/apache/coyote/ProtocolHandler.html)
> This class is responsible for managing the transport (e.g. ServerSocket) and > request
threads (but the various EndPoint classes in > org.apache.tomcat.util.net may simplify
this aspect for you). For best > results, this class may implement ActionHook as well >
(http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/api/org/apache/coyote/ActionHook.html).> >
When a new request comes in, it is the ProtocolHandler's job to initialize a > Request
a Response > (http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/api/org/apache/coyote/Response.html)
and Response off to the service method of the Adapter > (http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/api/org/apache/coyote/Adapter.html)
> that Tomcat will give to the ProtocolHandler. And that is pretty much it > :).>
> Using the standard server.xml (as opposed to Embedding), you would configure > Tomcat
to use your Connector with an element like:> <Connector protocol="com.myfirm.mypackage.MyProtocolHandler"
... />> Any other attributes in the <Connector /> tag will be passed JavaBean
style > to the ProtocolHandler to handle init options.> > For the simplest example,
look at > org.apache.coyote.memory.MemoryProtocolHandler (but this one is mostly > useful
for unit testing).> > "Simon Aquilina" <sim085@hotmail.com> wrote in message >
news:BAY118-W43259A10E2A48EC3FC853F85BA0@phx.gbl...> > Hi,> I am interested in building
a custom connector for Tomcat. I have checked > the Tomcat source code and found the source
code for the ‘http11’ and ‘ajp’ > connectors. I thought of trying to understand
the code of these two > connectors and then try to implement mine based on these. However
I am no > expert and was wondering if there is any good documentation/tutorial on how >
a connector can be developed for Tomcat (I would later use this connector > with Geronimo).>
Just to give you some insight; what I want to achieve is to build a custom > connector
so that Tomcat can understand requests made from a 3rd party > clients who cannot communicate
using the Http protocol and nor do they > expect data in html format. Additionally some
of the clients could > communicate on Bluetooth!> I do not know if the above is even
possible but I am willing to try :)> Thanks for any replies,> Regards,Sim085> _________________________________________________________________>
News, entertainment and everything you care about at Live.com. Get it now!> http://www.live.com/getstarted.aspx