tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: Individual servlet statistics
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:11:00 GMT
> From: masterdewitt@gmail.com [mailto:masterdewitt@gmail.com]
>     I was curious if anybody knew of some software that
> tracked the memory
> and cpu usage of each servlet that was running on a Tomcat
> instance.

Unfortunately, as all the servlets run on a common JVM and using a common heap, there is no
way of tracking memory use reliably (unless you want to do something slow and intrusive like
using the debugger to trace references from known application roots).  You *might* be able
to do something about tracking something to do with CPU by thread, but remember that Tomcat
shares threads between all the servlets so you'd have to do this on a per-request basis.
I can't think of a way of persuading Java to hand over the information you'd need even here,
but better brains on this list might have some ideas.

In general, if you want to monitor the servlets independently, you'll have to run 'em on independent
JVMs.

                - Peter