tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: Blocking Proxy Access
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2008 08:32:49 GMT
> From: samk@twinix.com [mailto:samk@twinix.com]
> It's to keep undesirables, who have been banned, off from a
> social networking site.

How on earth do you identify the undesirables in the first place?  For most users, all they
need to do is clear the cookie cache and drop their broadband connection for long enough to
be assigned a different IP address next time they connect.  Or just go to a different Internet
café.  Voila - new identity!

Aside: I'm very familiar with the problem - I've run a MUD since 1990, which is an early form
of social networking site.  We've had 18 years of trying to find a good solution to this problem.
 We've never come up with a workable technical solution - they've *all* been human solutions
involving better and faster moderation.  All the technical solutions we've devised have been
trivial to bypass by any user who has the recipe - and, in these days of the Internet, it's
very easy for one technically competent undesirable to publish the recipe and all the other
idiots to follow it.

                - Peter