tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: NIO/Large-scale pushes to browsers/Jetty 6 Continuations
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2008 21:33:46 GMT
Ken Bowen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm working on a project which has developed a need to push data from
> the server to browsers.
> In the short term, the numbers of browsers will be moderate, but in
> the long term, it appears
> that we will need to scale up to very large numbers, so the 'one
> thread per connection' issues
> of Comet and Pushlets will become significant.
>
> 1) Clearly using NIO will help.  My understanding is that NIO works ok
> with Tomcat 6; is this correct?
> Can it also be used in 5.5?
unfortunately not, and a backport is not on the horizon

> 2) Is there any analogue of Jetty 6 Continuations available in
> Tomcat?  They sound like a good mechanism
> for this problem.  Does anyone on the list have any experience with them?
Tomcat has a CometProcessor interface, which is a step further than
continuations.
Allows you to decouple the connection from the thread and writing to the
response in an async manner

> More generally, does anyone have experience with a solution to our
> problem (large-scale pushes from server to browser)?
sure do, just let us know what questions you might have

Filip