tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: ISAPI/JK redirector question
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:50:48 GMT
Hi Brantley,

Brantley Hobbs schrieb:
> All,
>
> Is there a way to map an application to a back-end
> load-balanced/clustered tomcat farm from an IIS webserver such that an
> application deployed on the default host (i.e. deployed to the default
> "webapps" folder) can be addressed as a FQDN from the browser.  For
> example:
>
> Application deployed at:
>
> http://tomcat00:8080/foo
>
> Can be reached by the end user at:
>
> http://www.myfancyname.com
>
> (Note that there is no "foo" on the end of that and the client has
> explicitly requested that this not show up.)
>
> I know that I can create a virtual host on Tomcat and deploy my app as
> "ROOT", but then deployment and application management becomes somewhat
> painful.  I'd like to be able to manage all my apps with a single lambda
> probe or Tomcat manager installation.

The server name is not the problem. Tomcat will look for all webapps in
the default host, if there is not match for the host name.

The "/foo" stripping is not trivial: the isapi redirector can rewrite
request URLs, so it is able to add a /foo at the beginning of the URL.
But if your webapp does any of the following things, this will not be
enough:

- including absolute links to itself in the response bodies. If the user
clicks on those links, the browser will show the foo-URL (and try to
reach it).

- sending redirects to itself (redirects officially must use full URLs).

- sending a cookie with path /foo. The browser will not send this cookie
back with the next request, because it doesn't start with /foo.

I don't know, if IIS can manipulate such things in responses. The isapi
plugin itself can not.

If you would use httpd, it is able to rewrite cookie pathes and redirect
URLs, and with the freely available module mod_proxy_html, you can also
rewrite URLs in the response body (eating some performance and only
working nicely, if thoese URLs are verbose part of the HTML source and
do not get created dynamically via Javascript etc.). These tools should
generally better get combined with mod_proxy.

Regards,

Rainer