tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Logging] Tutorial Contribution
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2008 19:46:19 GMT
Chuck,

Thanks for the "Spring Cleaning" and the positive feed back!  After 3 days of analyzing logging,
I was feeling a little "Logged Out", so the pep definitely helps.

I made all the changes you suggested (Good eye).  I think it's ready the wiki now, unless
anyone has additional modification.

I still need to go through a few more of the earlier responses to the thread.

Thanks again,
- Ole

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Ole Ersoy [mailto:ole.ersoy@gmail.com]
>> Subject: [Logging] Tutorial Contribution
>
> Thanks for putting this together.  I have a few comments, mostly nit-picking.
>
>> The goal of this primer is to demonstrate how to to log with
>> java.util.logging (JULI)
>
> This give the impression that java.util.logging == JULI, which is a bit misleading.
Perhaps something more along the lines of "java.util.logging, as implemented by JULI" would
be more appropriate.

>> Now you have a logger to create logging messages from you
>> class CriticalComponent.
>
> Typo: "you class" should be "your class".
>
>> If you ran this code with a deployed web application you
>> would see this statement
>> on the console or in catalina.out out like:
>
> Drop the "out like" from the end of that sentence.
>
>> What if you wanted the output to appear in a file and on the
>> console?  For that you need to define a 2 Handlers.
>
> Remove the "a" prior to the "2".
>
>> Lets start with a root Logger.  A root logger is a logger
>> whose name is "".
>> What's the purpose of it.
>
> Terminate that last sentence with a question mark, not a period.
>
>> Now remember that once something gets logged by myLogger,
>> it's handed over to myLogger's Handlers.  But what if we
>> never assigned any Handlers to myLogger.  How would it get
>> it's Handler?
>
> The first "it's" above is correct, as a contraction of "it is"; the second one is not,
since the possessive "its" does not contain an apostrophe.  There are several other occurrences
of the same typo, which I won't list.

>> .level = OFF
>
> Might want to also mention the other pseudo-level ALL for the serious tree-killers.
>
>> How do I customize the location of the tomcat logging.properies file?
>
> "logging.properies" should be "logging.properties".
>
>> Example:
>> -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/etc/tomcat/logging.properties
>>
>> Note that this property is not set when running catalina.sh.
>>
>> The reason for this is that the download provided by the
>> Apache Tomcat project knows where the file is already.
>
> Not true - the script does set the property if the conf/logging.properties file exists.
 See lines 182-185 of the 6.0.16 catalina.sh script.  It also set java.util.logging.manager
to point to the JULI LogManager implementation.