tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: User Authentication - IE doesn't recognize mime type (pdf,xls)of files in protected directory
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2008 08:22:02 GMT

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Ed Marshall [mailto:emarshall@Cherrycorp.com]
>> Subject: RE: User Authentication - IE doesn't recognize mime
>> type (pdf,xls)of files in protected directory
>>
>> But when I'm already logged in, IE will never display the pdf.
>> So it seems that Tomcat is behaving differently in each case.
>
> It's not Tomcat - it's Microsoft's less than brilliant interpretation of the HTTP RFC,
coupled with IE's erratic implementation.  You need to get rid of the no-cache headers; this
should let IE open the file in situ.

I agree 100% with the above.
The erratic behaviour of IE across versions, subversions, patches, etc..
with respect to the Content-Type and Content-disposition HTTP headers is
the subject of uncountable articles in newgroups and pages on the web,
and cost uncountable hours of work to developers.
In other words, it's broken and it's a mess.
(search Google for : IE +"Content-type" to get an idea)

Even on 2 PCs with exactly the same version of IE, the behaviour will
sometimes be different depending on the other programs installed on that PC.

I know this will sound as hocus-pocus, but please try it :
If you have any of the Acrobat programs installed on that PC, and if it
is possible without major work, then
- de-install the Acrobat program
- reboot your PC
- re-install the same Acrobat program
and try again.  The chances are good that the behaviour of IE will change.

André