tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859 in web.xml
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:31:34 GMT

Christopher Schultz wrote:

> André,
>
> André Warnier wrote:
> | The good news is that Tomcat and Java basically default to
> | Unicode/UTF-8, so unless you do things really wrong, it should not be a
> | big problem to support UTF-8 requests and responses.
>
> No, you need to configure Tomcat to use UTF8 as the default. ISO-8859-1
> will be used as per the HTTP spec if no other factors are involved.

Ooops.
What I meant was that Tomcat and it's running apps being Java-based, and
Java's internal charset being Unicode, stuff like request.getParameter()
will by default deliver Unicode, without need to go through loops.

But of course that is IF the pages sent to the browser are properly
UTF-8 and marked as UTF-8, if the <form> tags in them are properly set
up, if the browser does what it should do and so on.

But maybe that is also still not correct, or not enough.
What else does need to be done at the Tomcat configuration level so that
it would handle UTF-8 requests properly, and produce UTF-8 responses
properly ?

André