tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject general info on proxying, load balancing, connectors
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:15:59 GMT
Hi.

I am a total ignorant in these questions, just looking for some basic
pointers.  Neither do I need proxying or load balancing at the moment,
or at least I don't think I do. So this is not urgent in any way.

But I do have some applications that work with an Apache front-end,
delegating to a Tomcat back-end for some URLs, via mod_jk.  So I do
understand the basics of proxying, connectors, load balancing etc..

In a very general sense, I think I also understand from some previous
readings elsewhere and in this forum, that if you have a configuration
with an Apache front-end server and one or more Tomcat back-ends, you
can use 3 different methods to handle some content directly in Apache
and other content with Tomcat(s) :

1) use Apache as a HTTP proxy, and proxy some requests via HTTP to
back-end Tomcats, using the HTTP connector of Tomcat.

2) use mod_proxy_ajp at the Apache level to forward some requests to
Tomcat, using the AJP connector of Tomcat

3) use mod_jk at the Apache level to forward some requests to Tomcat,
using the AJP connector of Tomcat

And my question is : are there specific reasons or scenarios in which
one of the above methods is preferable to the others ?

A very rough general answer would already help me seeing a bit more
clearly where to look for more information.

Thanks in advance,
André