tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From André Warnier>
Subject Re: UTF-8 handling differs between two servlets within the same application
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:49:14 GMT

Christoph Pirkl wrote:

Not being a Tomcat/Websphere expert myself, but having had to track down 
similar problems before, just a couple of notes :

If this is true :

> Both forms use the "post"-method. 

then the userid and password are sent in the body of the request, not in 
the URI.

and thus this

 > We added URIEncoding="UTF-8" in the connector, as suggested in 
various posts we found googling the problem... unfortunately to no avail.

.. should not have any effect, because if the name matches the function, 
it would affect only the URI, not the body.

On the other hand :

> Content of both HTML-pages is declared as UTF-8. 

How exactly ?
There are 3 elements that can play a role :
a) the HTTP header "Content-type:" that comes from the server, along 
with the html form
b) a possible <meta http-equiv="Content-type" ..> tag in the html 
document containing the form
c) a "Accept-charset=" attribute in the <form> tag itself

You can see (a) easily with, for instance, Firefox plus the add-on 
(b) and (c) can be seen with "view page source".  In Firefox, this will 
also show you what charset Firefox thinks the page is.

I am not saying that this is your problem, just that it could be, and 
that you should make 100% sure of the above elements before you look 
further in Tomcat/Websphere problems.
A slight difference in any of the above, could cause the browser to send 
things to the server a bit differently.  There are also differences 
between browsers in that respect, IE versions in particular being often 


To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message