tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: UTF-8 handling differs between two servlets within the same application
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:49:14 GMT
Hi.

Christoph Pirkl wrote:
[...]

Not being a Tomcat/Websphere expert myself, but having had to track down
similar problems before, just a couple of notes :

If this is true :

> Both forms use the "post"-method.

then the userid and password are sent in the body of the request, not in
the URI.

and thus this

 > We added URIEncoding="UTF-8" in the connector, as suggested in
various posts we found googling the problem... unfortunately to no avail.

.. should not have any effect, because if the name matches the function,
it would affect only the URI, not the body.

On the other hand :

> Content of both HTML-pages is declared as UTF-8.

How exactly ?
There are 3 elements that can play a role :
a) the HTTP header "Content-type:" that comes from the server, along
with the html form
b) a possible <meta http-equiv="Content-type" ..> tag in the html
document containing the form
c) a "Accept-charset=" attribute in the <form> tag itself

You can see (a) easily with, for instance, Firefox plus the add-on
"LiveHTTPHeaders".
(b) and (c) can be seen with "view page source".  In Firefox, this will
also show you what charset Firefox thinks the page is.

I am not saying that this is your problem, just that it could be, and
that you should make 100% sure of the above elements before you look
further in Tomcat/Websphere problems.
A slight difference in any of the above, could cause the browser to send
things to the server a bit differently.  There are also differences
between browsers in that respect, IE versions in particular being often
inconsistent.

André