tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5.5: Why can't I see the applications?
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:17:07 GMT

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: "J ANDERSEN" <j_andersen@btinternet.com>
>> Subject: Tomcat 5.5: Why can't I see the applications?
>>
>> I am trying to get Tomcat to work (Linux, 64 bits) - it runs
>> fine, I can connect to localhost:8080, but no matter what I
>> have tried, there doesn't seem to be any applications.
>
> Did you install a real Tomcat from http://tomcat.apache.org, or are you using a 3rd-party
repackaged piece of junk?  If the latter, throw it away and get the real one.  Most, if not
all, of the repackaged versions simply don't work and do not conform to the expected installation
structure.

To the original poster : please ignore the comment above.
Chuck ssems to have something viscerally against any packaged form of
Tomcat, or any Tomcat that is not the very latest version.  He seems to
be unable to understand and accept that many Tomcat users and system
admins simply do not have much choice in the matter, and that Tomcat
does not exist in a void by its own, but is usually part of an
environment with many constraints other than Tomcat.
And he wants to ignore the fact that there are tens of thousands of
Tomcats out there installed from packages, working fine, and easy to run
and maintain; and dozens of qualified and benevolent software packagers,
who do their best to provide packages working in a given environment.
It is a real pity, because he undoubtedly knows his Tomcat and Java
stuff better than most.
And usually, after this first rash comment, he starts actually trying to
help.
There are others on this list that will try to help you if you just want
help with the Tomcat you got.

André